O ne of Horton's oldest businesses has served the community for over 115 years in the same location at 909 Central Ave. The sequence of owners have each been associated with their predecessor long enough to be indoctrinated with the pattern of service set forth by an early-day mortician, J.S. Henderson. Henderson and the experienced professionals that have followed in his footsteps have lived by his motto "Providing Dignified Care and the Best Service to Every Family We Serve" and have applied it to their profession, church, family and community service.
The succession of owners have each carried on the traditional Henderson quality of service with a family owned and operated business with J.S. Henderson operating the business until 1926. Albert & wife Ella Rake joined the Henderson's and established the Henderson-Rake Mortuary from 1926 until 1940. In 1940 Irvin & wife Margaret Chaney joined the Rake's then in 1958 the mortuary became know as the Chaney Mortuary continuing on the family tradition. Charles & wife Phyllis Maple joined the family operated business in 1965, working alongside Albert Rake and Irvin Chaney eventually purchasing the mortuary in 1979. Gregg & wife Kim Dishon moved to Horton in 1992, working alongside the Maple's. In 1995 Charles & Phyllis Maple honored a tradition that began many years ago, selling the mortuary to Gregg & Kim Dishon which is now the Dishon-Maple-Chaney Mortuary. Gregg and Kim desire to continue the tradition of providing a dignified and caring funeral service for the families who have come to depend on them.